Hello Everyone! My! has this been a crazy week. I am working on finishing up school for the semester. Even with all the work the weather has been beautiful. It feels like summer is here and it is only April! Today it was almost 80 degrees and on Sunday my family and I got sunburned playing kick-ball. With all this glorious weather I thought it was time to have a summery dish, so I helped my sister whip up this amazing salad. I will admit cutting the onions involved many tears, but ladies and gentlemen, when you are done making it, I am certain you will enjoy it just as much as we did!!
The tomatoes make the salad so pretty and after it has marinated for a while it tastes soft, yet crunchy, flavorful, and light. If you are looking for healthy, easy, seasonal dishes, this should absolutely added this to the menu. My family likes to make this in bulk and save it in the fridge in cute mason jars for the week. The jars add an organic, home grown look.
I got the orginal recipe off of A Cowboy’s Wife. This is a lovely little site with some genioune dilect, as you can see in the recipe below. 🙂 For the original recipe visit here.
TOMATO AND CUCUMBER SALAD
- 4 medium tomatoes diced or sliced the way you want them
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled & sliced
- 2 onions, sliced and separated into rings
- 2 Tbsp. Vinegar (When we make it we like to at least double the vinegar to give it more of a zing)
- 1/4 c. Oil, I used Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp. Sugar
- 1 tsp. salt (I like to add 2 or 3 more teaspoons to add more flavor)
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tsp. minced fresh parsley. I used the jar because I NEVER have fresh herbs on hand (We used the spice and it tasted amazing)
Set aside your cut up tomatoes, cucumbers & onions. In your bowl or mason jar, pour in the remaining ingredients and mix or shake. Throw in your maters,
cumbers, and onions into the jar with the mixture and toss around until mixed good. Marinate 2hrs before serving. I usually marinate one hour on the table at room temperature and one hour in the frig!